Saturday 18 June 2011

The Old Abattoir

Last weekend I went to an amazing exhibition in Clerkenwell. Described as "a unique and powerful", Modern Panic was "a collection of over 50 surreal, controversial and provocative modern artists from around the world".
And Surreal it was. Held in the basements of The Old Abattoir on St John Street, I couldn't have imagined a more suitable location for the dark and haunting works on display.

I ended up spending a large portion of my morning pretending to be in a horror film wondering around the spooky subterranean chambers as I became more and more excited by the space itself. It is an incredible building!



Oh no! A papercut!


Insert religious symbolism.


It's locked... THE DOOR'S LOCKED! DEAR LORD!





The phone lines have been cut... HELP! (disclaimer: probably not phone lines)







From a quick scan on the web it seems that there have been other one off performances and exhibitions held here, and will probably continue to be. However, I can help thinking that The Old Abattoir could be the perfect location for our very own version of Berghain. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment